Diversity of markets, customers, ideas, and talent is driving the need for inclusion as a new leadership capability. Effective leaders encourage:
- Diverse thinking
- Looking at things from others’ viewpoints
- Curiosity; looking for the authentic experience of other people and always asking if things are being done the best way
- Valuing everyone’s input and making everyone feel like they belong
- Taking a broad perspective on people, organisation and business
Inclusive leadership behaviours that predict success
- Empowerment – enabling direct reports to develop and excel
- Humility – admitting mistakes, learning from criticism and different points of view; acknowledging and seeking contributions of others to overcome one’s limitations
- Courage – Putting personal interests aside to achieve what needs to be done; acting on convictions and principles even when it requires personal risk taking
- Accountability; demonstrating confidence in direct reports by holding them responsible for performance they can control
INCLUSIVE LEADERSHIP IN ACTION
Through our experiential drama-based training programmes, we can:
- OPEN minds and start the dialogue about inclusive leadership and behaviour
- CHALLENGE entrenched attitudes
- BUILD shared aspirations and understanding of the way to grow an inclusive culture
- LEVERAGE core inclusive leadership behaviours
A typical one day programme involving a range of challenging methodologies would address the following learning outcomes:
- How to develop a diverse talent and maximise team performance
- Raise awareness of own biases and preferences
- Identify leadership styles, building trust and valuing difference
- Build self-awareness, understanding own biases and preference, to inform better decision-making
- How to become a positive role model and develop talent
- Create a shared vision to inspire and drive organisational and individual performance.
All our programmes are developed in partnership with clients. Contact us for more details 01494 794264
LEADERSHIP PATHWAY AUDIT
Our leadership pathway audit defines the relationship of a leader or manager with the team they lead, in the circumstances they are actively in and at the relevant time. It enables us and you to work out the most effective way to create the inclusive culture you want and to grow your organisation.
With graduated levels of audit, analysis and options for developing leaders, the Leadership Pathway Audit works for individuals, small teams, large organisations and for leaders and managers in every sector.
Why adopt this approach?
This audit, based on the perception of team members, has a profound impact on the manager’s understanding of how they should behave, ie what they should do more of, less of and what they should maintain. Because leadership is based on the expectations and experience of team members, it is not just the behaviour of the leader that is important but how team members evaluate and interpret that behaviour. Leadership is based on the perception of team members, not on some mythical quality that leaders possess. Leadership is in the minds of the follower. The audit report makes coaching and training of managers considerably more powerful and cost effective. Managers then receive a 1-1 meeting to discuss the findings, and explore development areas moving forward.
How does it work?
Team members complete an on-line questionnaire which takes less than 20 minutes. The results are analysed and a report about the managers “management style” profile is produced.
When to use it?
It is most valuable when used before any leadership coaching or training. It can be used in 1-1 coaching or the training of several managers. It can provide the basis of personal developmental plans, both in terms of the content of training programmes to be delivered and also individual learning needs met through a variety of mediums.
Inclusive leaders get the best out of all their people, helping their organisations to succeed in today’s complex, diverse national and global environment. Through their skills in adaptability, building relationships and developing talent, inclusive leaders are able to increase performance and innovation.
Inclusive Leadership: Culture Change for Business Success, report by Opportunity Now and Shapiro Consulting